Have you ever listened to Adam Carolla’s podcast? He has a segment sometimes called “what can’t Adam complain about?” Yeah, there is a reason I like him so much, I could complain about ANYTHING but I am getting better about not vocalizing it.
Let us talk about the workplace today. I’m talking as a whole, all 6 buildings, 16 regions, 3000+ people.
- Have some common sense when you get dressed in the morning. This isn’t a bar, a beach, or prom.
- Practice good hygiene. If you can be smelled outside of your cube, you have a problem.
- You don’t need to bring your own coffee maker for the breakroom. There are like 7 in our breakroom. Either bring your coffee, buy into the coffee club buy it in the cafe, or keep your personal maker in your cube/office. We already have limited counter space.
- While I give props to the person who donated the sink screens, I want to scream at the people who wash their crap off their dishes into the screens and leave it there. NASTY.
- We have a soap and sponge/brush pool. If you use the stuff, you need to participate in the pool. They sell this crap at Dollar Tree. $2 can get you a big bottle of soap and a brush or sponge. The only reason I even go in there is to wash my dishes, so they don’t stink when I go to put them in the dishwasher at night.
- Office treats for a job well done are nice I guess. Even though there is a slim chance i’d eat anything that was brought anyhow, it’s almost always bagels, donuts, cake etc., which means there is a 0% chance I will eat it. And I likely wouldn’t eat a GF version either. Today’s bagels were a reward for job well done, which was majority me. You are welcome for the bagels I earned you.
- Apparently some people are able to come and go as they please. Must be nice to make your own hours.
- Empty spaces are not dumping grounds for your unwanted crap. If you have files that you don’t need, recycle them or ask what needs to happen to them. Two weeks ago I lead a cleanup on a cube that had massive amounts of crap dumped in it from various individuals. NONE of it was mine. I was not happy as I was flinging boxes and tossing things left and right into the recycling bin.
- Learn how to park. I park in the same spot every morning. My car is repeatedly beat up because people park like assholes. Have you ever seen “youparklikeanasshole?” If you haven’t, you should. I am pretty sure some people are vying to be on there that park near me.
- Our cafeteria is a wreck. The only thing that I would buy there are breakfast and a drink. The lunches are 100% crap, I wouldn’t touch them with a 10 foot pole. And I had to have the gluten contamination talk with the manager because the server was using the bacon spatula to cut toast. ACK!
- Travel. We don’t get money for tips, which leads to certain people either only eating fast food or being stingy with tips. FYI, if you travel with me, I eat as good or better than at home quality wise. If you don’t like it, take your own car.
- I cringe every time I hear an iphone chime, because I think it’s my work phone.