Tired Tuesday

Stupid wind kept me up again.  It was so bad that at 3 am, I got up and got online to look at weather.com to see what the heck was going on.  Gusts up to 40 mph.  Sheesh.

Since I couldn’t sleep, I washed dishes and cleaned up the living, dining, and kitchen in the condo, which was a freaking wreck.   At 7 am  when my mom appeared in her workout clothes, we set off to do her Galloway workout.  I’m going to be a little harsh, but she was being a wimp in the last part.  I gave her a little tough love to motivate her. 

Came back to a hungry group.  Apparently this week I volunteered being a maid and a cook.  I don’t mind helping or cooking, but no one other than my mom did ANYTHING the whole time I was there.  No getting their own drinks, cleaning up after themselves, or anything.  I wasn’t hosting this little mini-vacation for them, so by time breakfast rolled around this morning, I was starting to get a little irritated.  Especially when my parent’s friends were griping that breakfast wasn’t ready when they wanted it.  Seriously?  There was a taqueria, Whataburger, and a DQ down the street, if you are that hungry and can’t fend for yourself, hit the drive-through!

I ended up making french toast, pancakes, and a ton of breakfast taco fixings for my dad and my parent’s friends.  It was promptly inhaled and everyone disappeared to shower and get dressed.  Mom and I got to clean up and do dishes.  YAY.

Mom and I ate leftover Taco Chili breakfast tacos with corn shells I made in the oven.  It was a new twist for the leftover chili, which we both LOVED.  I left the last serving with her so she could enjoy it again tomorrow for breakfast.   Just took half a serving of the chili, added scrambled eggs, a little salsa, and some cheese 🙂   Sorry for the crummy photo and my classy paper plates.  I was SO tired of washing dishes, we ate off of paper plates most of the time, because I was constantly washing everything else from cooking.

I fished with dad all morning and didn’t catch anything he wanted.  I went back to the condo, showered, then hit the road.  Packed the cooler with a turkey-guac sandwich for lunch, just in case I got hungry (I was having another episode).  Ate lunch while driving (which I never do, I don’t eat in my car), on the way home at 2:30.  It took forever to get home, didn’t roll into my garage until 5:45 and that was even with taking the toll roads around ATX to avoid any rush hour traffic.  I.WAS.BEAT.

My dinner started off here:

How is that for buying local and fresh?  I originally bought 4 lbs of shrimp this morning off the deck of the Polly Anna.  Then regretted not buying more, so I went back for another 4.  I convinced my mom to get 2 lbs for herself.  Dad is allergic to shrimp, but he said he’d cook them for her when they get home.  Hopefully he tries something new for her and doesn’t just batter and fry them (which is the only way she’ll eat them, yes that was me once upon a time too).

Anyhow once I got home, I froze all but 1 lb and cleaned them (deveining sucks and I am really bad at it).  When I had 8 oz of clean, I tackled Eating Well’s Shrimp and Cheddar Grits.  I made half the recipe since it’s just me at home until Thursday night (that and Dan won’t even entertain eating grits for anything but breakfast).  It was really quick and easy, which was good, because I didn’t have energy for anything else.

4 servings | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes


  • · 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • · 1 1/2 cups water
  • · 3/4 cup quick grits, (not instant) (see Shopping Tip)
  • · 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
  • · 3/4 cup extra-sharp or sharp Cheddar cheese
  • · 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (16-20 per pound; see Shopping Tip)
  • · 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • · 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • · 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • · 1/8 teaspoon salt


  1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
  2. Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Cover to keep warm.
  3. Meanwhile, toss shrimp, scallions, oil, garlic powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring once, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve the grits topped with the broiled shrimp and scallions.

Per serving : 356 Calories; 13 g Fat; 5 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 197 mg Cholesterol; 27 g Carbohydrates; 32 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 428 mg Sodium; 275 mg Potassium   (mine would be less because I used less EVOO and RF cheddar)

SOURCE:  Eatingwell.com

I didn’t have alot to make with it, as I cleaned out the fridge before I left and took all the produce with me on my trip and didn’t bring much back.  Made some garlicky spinach, roasted red pepper,  and found some canned asparagus.  Never had canned asparagus before, can’t say I like it at all.  Think i’ll stick with fresh or frozen.

I really liked the recipe, looking forward to eating the other serving tomorrow for dinner.  Don’t usually make enough shrimp or fish to eat as a leftover, but it was good enough to eat again 🙂

So glad this day is over.  Tired from 2 sleepless nights, 3 very full days, and 9 very long hours in the car.  While I was happy to surprise my dad and spend time down there with them, it’s not at all what I had in mind.  Hopefully dad had fun, which is what I was aiming for.


One thought on “Tired Tuesday

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s